It’s Labor Day weekend already! Summer sped by us this year. It’s not too late to enjoy some of the Northeast Georgia Labor Day weekend events around the area. So many options! From paddleboard races to zoo tours to wine grape crushing, this weekend is a great time to get out an enjoy what our region has to offer, Georgia-style.
First, a Brief History of Labor Day
A holiday dedicated to the contributions and achievements of the American worker, the first Labor Day was celebrated in New York City on September 5th, 1882. From there, momentum grew to make the tribute a national holiday. On June 28th 1894, Congress passed an act that declared the first Monday in September the official day of observance. Since then, the holiday has been celebrated nationally with parades, events featuring prominent speakers, and a much-deserved day off for the hard-working Americans who keep our country’s economy running.
Northeast Georgia Labor Day Weekend Events:
Our corner of Georgia is taking full advantage of the long weekend with events and things to do region-wide. Here are a few of our favorite picks, and there’s something for everyone!
- Let’s start at the beach! Head to Gainesville’s Don Carter State Park and enjoy the water, sand, and special events planned at the beach. Head to the recreation station for events on both Saturday and Sunday, including paddleboard racing, an owl pellet dissection, and animal footprint casting. Get a full calendar of the events planned for the weekend here.
- Blue Star Museum Program – The Crawford Long Museum and the Georgia Museum of Art are part of the Blue Star Museums program, which grants free admission to active-duty military members and their families from Memorial Day to Labor Day. If you or someone you know is in the area this weekend, don’t miss this opportunity to take in some of Georgia’s art, history and culture. For a list of all participating museums in Georgia, go to Blue Star Museum’s page on the National Endowment for the Arts site.
- Crush Fest 2017 – In case you want more wine after we introduced you to Georgia’s wine country, Yonah Mountain Vineyards in Cleveland hosts an all-day Crush Fest festival featuring live music, food trucks, wine tastings, a market for local artisans, and – yes – a chance to step on some grapes in your bare feet. 11 am – 7 pm, I wouldn’t miss this one!
- Braselton’s Chateau Élan is hosting the Dirk Howell Band Summer Concert on September 3rd beginning at 8:30. Bring a picnic basket, blankets and/or low chairs, and buy a glass of wine from the cash bar at the venue.
- A great idea for families – the North Georgia Zoo & Farm is hosting Labor Day weekend and sunset tours – visit the zoo and see animals up close and personal with their guided sunset tours. Saturday and Sunday, 6:15-8:45. Get a peek at some of our animal friends who like the nightlife.
Enjoy Your Holiday!
We thank you so much for being our neighbors. We hope you enjoy your holiday and find some fun and exciting things to do!
WE LOVE WHERE WE LIVE!
Get to know Northeast Georgia. We service several counties in the region, and know our way around. We consider ourselves local experts, and we’ll find you exactly what you’re looking for. Contact us today!